Wednesday, June 27, 2012

50/50



That's right...half. Half of my pots have small flaws. How disappointing! I suppose I've been lucky thus far. Beginners luck? Could be. I'm wondering if another fire might fix the rough lips...especially if I added just a touch of glaze but I'm not sure. The little sandy bumps are probably not something I can fix...and I think I know now what caused them. After glazing and once that glaze has set somewhat, I sand my piece a little to smooth out any drips...with an older piece of drywall sanding mesh. It's black...and I wonder now if it doesn't flake a little? Either way, I really detest when my pieces aren't smooth all over. So these will be for me...or I'll give them away to friends or family. I also had one bowl with some nasty blisters. Seems there are a few possible reasons why that happened. Frustrating not knowing for sure, but I guess we'll see if it happens again. As I've said before...it's all a learning curve!


So today I'm going to sieve my glaze, in case there are any nasty bits lurking at the bottom....and I'll mix another batch because I found it difficult to dip as there's not quite enough glaze even when I tip my pail. I also need to u/g the cups I made the other day. They're getting quite dry and it really should have been done yesterday! I suppose that I'll throw too...more bowls to replace these. Oh! and I made a plate the other day (I can't remember if I mentioned it in a previous post?) Not a big one...although I did try a full sized one as a my first attempt which failed. Just a small one and a saucer and quite honestly I didn't find it at all difficult but from what I've read, the real difficulty is in drying it properly so they don't warp or crack. I have them wrapped up well and I'm in no rush to dry them (read that slow drying is best).



I'm gone!

2 comments:

  1. What's yr temp range, mid fire?
    The blisters could be due to insufficient bisque and some trapped gas or carbon in body migrating at the higher glaze temp ... I think. As for the sanding use a firm damp sponge to wipe off the rim. I wouldnt think of using it at the glazing stage for cleanup. I believe some wet n dry materials either flake or leave a barely visible oily residue on the surface which can wreck yr glazing. Give wet n dry a miss, keep it for post glaze firing, if you need to refine a foot ring or rim with a light touch. I find w & d good for polishing porcelain surfaces but I don't glaze over the sanded area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there Brenda!
    Thanks for the lovely comments that you've left on my blog recently, I really appreciate your kind words!
    To answer your question from earlier - my work is all hand painted :)
    The bowls above are lovely - and I echo your sentiments about unsmooth glaze, I have boxes of seconds waiting around for a studio sale...!
    Katy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :)