Thursday, June 14, 2012

How much time does it take to decorate 12 bowls?

Most of today. That's how long it takes ME to paint twelve bowls! I can't believe that I spent as much time as I did decorating them, but it's pretty involved. I did eat...both lunch and dinner and I had time to watch a little tv with my mom and sit down for an afternoon tea. You need that time of course, for the underglaze to dry between coats!

I think I might try decals on them once they're fired. On these I think the sepia will look great, so I can print something directly onto the decal paper from my printer. I see these as a little circus-y...so I'm thinking something appropriate...maybe some stars? I'm going to look for something now. I'll put a few in some of the small coloured dots.

Anyway, here they are...in all their glory. I'm pretty happy with them. Of course we'll see if I like them as much once they're fired, but I'm thinking that I will!

I was inspired by Merdedith Host. I am in love with her work!

I almost forgot the pictures!





10 comments:

  1. Lovely. You are full steam ahead. What temp will let you sue your printer ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even cracked my printer from it's box! Or did you mean which temp to fire the decals at? That's something I'm not too sure of! Do you have any idea Helen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! more stuff to learn. Full instructions needed, Brenda! I already have two printers - what magical kind do I need now? Love all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I understand you need a printer with a high iron content toner. I thought it had to be a laser but I'm thinking an inkjet might work too. I did, however buy myself an HP Laser. Fingers crossed that it'll work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see your decal bowls, and the orange color, I used to hate orange, now I love it, that and melon. I bought a printer to do decals and I never have, one of these days. Mine is the HP laserjet. I really should check into getting the special paper as my husband keeps asking why I "needed" that printer. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! I'm going to be trying the laser decals at some point, too. (My printer just died, so it's an opportunity!) I've been reading about MICR toner. It has a ton of iron oxide in it. I love Meredith Host's work, too. She is local, but I've never seen her work in person somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that you did pretty good in getting all twelve decorated in one day, did you put slip or underglaze on the insides?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Brenda what temp will you fire at ? I didn't think you could use a bubble jet. We have a Lexapro lazier printer at work which I am told has iron in it. I got a big pack of the decal sheets so I could really play around. I think it is not cone 10 which I fire to so shall have to find out some more info. Do you have the instructions and have you seen the video on how to do it ? Looks fun. I am going to do a test slab and do colours too. Then fire at diff temps to see how high I can go. Must get going on this before the screens arrive. Hahahaa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no idea Helen! I don't think it's very high, but I've read conflicting reports. It's done after firing your glaze so if I'm assuming correctly, it's only enough to have the decal meld to the glaze..permanently! I'll need to test as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Underglaze Michelle! Honestly I know so little about glazes and they really perplex me. I've ruined so many pots that I loved by glazing that now I stick with u/g and clear glaze. I'm probably lazy about that, but I love the bright colour combos I can get!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :)