Saturday, June 30, 2012

Doodledee Doodledee Doo

Whew! Another hot one today! 26 degree I think, though I'm sure it's even hotter. Tomorrow 31! I shouldn't complain...our summers are so short, but I do prefer it just a little cooler.

I'm thinking it's a good day to work in my COOL basement studio. I haven't felt very productive this week and I have so many things I WANT/NEED to do! I'm trying to focus, but struggling. I probably should be throwing some body parts for my Jarheads. They take ages to dry and if I'm going to have them for this sale the beginning of August, I really should get them out of the way now. Alrighty! I've talked myself into it. It shouldn't take long. I don't need to be terribly fussy about them as I most often alter the shape in some way. So I'll do that..and then maybe have some fun with something new.

I keep saying that I'm going to pull out my oh-so-very-precious porcelain...Laguna Frost...and try my hand at something...anything really. I hear such horror stories about throwing it that I'm procrastinating, but I love the idea of carving into it and having the light shine through. I'm also determined to make some small pendants, decorated with underglaze and hopefully some silk screened print. Doodles I think. I'm really into doodles lately. Not that I've tried them. Nor am a good doodler. Oh, I can draw a box with flaps with my eyes closed! Scribble curly cues 'til the cows come home, but I want to doodle like Flora Chang from Happy Doodle Land! She's my latest blog find. I am in love with her doodled ceramics...the lovely pastel colours, the whimsical sketches she covers them with.


You can see more here on her Doodle Wares' flickr page! I can't help but love them all!

Be sure to check out what some other potters have been busy doing this week over at http://mudcolony.blogspot.ca/!

7 comments:

  1. Loooooooove these bowls !!
    UGH would LOVE some of that heat here in Sth Eastern Australia..WINTER with a vengance! !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on that Laguna frost because it kept cracking on me. I now am using Axner Macabee white stoneware which i love for it's long working time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like throwing with Frost. I have had a few cracks, but not enough to stop me from using it. I'm only on my second bag of it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just love your drawings on these bowls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to clarify, the bowls aren't mine and I found out from Flora that they're wooden, not clay. Her doodles are so well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :)