Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Blistering Heat...



It's feeling like the inside of my kiln here these past few days. In other words HOT! I'm sure I've said it before, but I don't like it when it's really hot and I like it even less when it's hot AND humid. Like yesterday. 36C on my thermometer and according to the weather people 44C with the humidty. Thank goodness for fans (no air conditioning for me). I have to admit that sitting outside last night around 10 was gorgeous...still warm, not a breath of air and very few mosquitos (most unusual!). Sleeping wasn't too bad...not with the fan blasting on us and the windows cranked wide open. Actually I slept pretty well until the storm hit early this morning. Quite the light show and loud too! It poured rain...so much so that it was running in buckets over the eaves!

So as you can imagine this morning the house is pretty sticky and unfortunately not too cool. I've closed things up...windows, blinds, curtains. Fans are roaring...I'm sitting here in as little clothing as I can possibly get away with without shocking an unexpected visitor should he/she happen to knock on my door!! hahaha

I think it's a good day to work in my lovely, and still cool, basement studio. Far too hot to fire in my ridiculously hot porch...certainly it's insane to fire something to 2000 or so degrees in that already-too-hot porch. I think this is a good time to get a little ahead of my firing. Ideally, I'd love to have work ready for the firing on a regular basis. To have enough that it's always full, because I sit here with a few pieces that I so desperately want to fire but force myself to wait because I'd prefer to fill it up. I'm finding it especially difficult when I'm working with two bodies of clay that fire at different temps. Low fire and Mid.

Ah well....to the cool and not so sticky studio I go! I should get lots done today!

1 comment:

  1. We have lots of mosquitoes, but not quite as hot as you but definitely humid, finally got a spot of rain today, thank goodness for the reprieve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :)