Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pushing Myself!

I promised my good friend Adriana that I would have a blog post for Mud Colony this week. I keep missing the deadline, which is Sunday...IF you live in Australia! For those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere, that would be Saturday. I see she's kindly left me a little reminder on Facebook, so I won't forget....so here it is....

I wanted to share my new pitcher/jug with you. I'm trying to challenge myself, so I decided to go big or go home! I've made a little ones...creamers or creamettes as I like to call them. All of them handle-less because you know how much I dislike attaching a handle. Little ones are fine without that ...big ones...not so much. So, I poured over several of my pottery books looking for spout options and handle sizes and watched more then my share of videos too and even got some great advice from a few friends.

In the end I suppose I should have sketched a pre-throw diagram, but to be honest, I didn't really know what shape I wanted and I'm so thrilled that I seem to have this cylinder thing licked that I just started throwing and then I shaped it....a few times to be honest. If there is one thing I am pretty good at it's altering the shape of a pot....sometimes quite drastically! Anyway, I worried it was too fat and maybe the bottom needed to be narrower? or should it be wider? I don't like the idea of a tippy pitcher full of something sticky! I also considered pulling a spout but figured it might be too small for something so round.

In the end I'm pretty happy with it. Whether or not it will pour? Hmmmm....I guess we'll see. I did try the 'centre of gravity' test that Robin Hopper suggests in 'Functional Pottery' and I think I'm pretty close. My one concern is the handle? Too big? should it be closer to the body? I'd love to hear some critiques! (I'm a big girl, I can take it, really I can!)

And with that....Voila! When you've finished ogling and left me your suggestions, why not stop over at Mud Colony to check out what the other talented potters have been up to this week!


14 comments:

  1. I think the largeness of the handle counterbalances the dramatic spout. If you had a smaller handle then the jug would look unbalanced because of the dramatic spout.
    It works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. Looks like it WILL pour. Perhaps a smaller handle or diff shape for ease of lifting? How big snd how heavy is it. How is the bottom finished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, I LOVE it!! I don't think the handle is too big or far from the body. That's what I like about it. :) It has your style, don't ever stray from that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Brenda! I agree, the spout and handle are well balanced. I love how dramatic it is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kim and Judi! I really do appreciate your comments. It's not too heavy. I've been known to leave my bottoms too thick but I specifically watched for that this time around. I trimmed a foot on the bottom. A wider one, but not too deep. Did you have a suggestion for trimming the bottom Judi? I hope you're right about the pouring! I guess that's my ultimate goal. I am a little concerned that because the handle is so far from the body it might feel a little awkward. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next jug! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only made a few pitchers, so...

    I like the roundness of this one. Michael Mahan just posted about some rebecca pitchers on his blog and the handles on those are exaggeratedly (not sure if that's even a word) narrow and tall, his blog is - From the Ground Up. I always wonder about the pouring especially on teapots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on posting on time this week :^) I love your jug and also think you need the large handle to balance the spout..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I"ve been making extreme handles lately, and they still give balance, it's mainly from the angle above the weight I find. But your spout is so great I'm sure it will pour well. Great looking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep going. And it looks great. You will decide. This is clay. Won't know till you try. Trust me. I know. I try ridiculous things

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your input! I really do appreciate it. Now I can't wait to get it decorated and fired so I can see if it will pour well. You're right Judi, it WILL pour! hahahha Linda, I will check out Michael's page. Yes Anna posted on time! I can't believe Adriana didn't comment on that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you why but I like it at first sight immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pitcher!
    The handle works beautifully with the spout.
    NICE WORK!
    Look forward to seeing it after firing.
    Sadhana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sadhana!! I'll definitely post some pics once it's finished! Trying to decide on how I want to decorate it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment! :)